Every week, we share nine XR stories from around the web that caught our eyes here at TheVirtualReport.biz:
1) Virtual Reality Gets Its Groove Back
Crunchbase crunches the numbers to see XR had a slow Q1, but 2017 investment on par with 2016 overall.
2) The Smartphone’s Future: It’s All About the Camera
The New York Times on how smartphone AR is a stopgap to the inevitable rise of wearables.
3) Augmented Reality Will Transform City Life
Venturbeat looks at the ways AR will change our lives, from indexing, commuting and translating to its role as an everday interface for AI.
4) A Conversation With Jaron Lanier, VR Juggernaut
Wired interviews one of the pioneers of 90s VR and talk about his new book, Dawn of the New Everything.
5) The Power of IoT Platforms for Building AR Applications
Free white paper by Ryan Martin, ABI Research Senior Analyst
6) Porsche Applies Augmented Reality to Tech Services
Tech Live Look allows the technical-support team to take screenshots or send technical bulletins and instructions onto the projection surface of the smart glasses while the service technician is working on the vehicle.
7) US Navy Cautious About Use Of Virtual Reality Goggles In Training, Simulation
National Defense magazine says, ‘The service must resist “the cool factor” and not rush to acquire the new wave of technologies until it fully understands how they can be used.
8) Why Virtual Reality Design Needs Empathetic Storytelling
Markus Giesler with Ben Kornacki, Kateryna Derzhavina, Nicholas Richards, Shaoning Wei, Sina Alipour-Nazari, and Sophie Lee.
9) The Power of Virtual Reality And Storytelling With Nonny de la Peña
Got an hour to spare? *Note: This presentation contains examples of violence and war.