The responsibility of the Event Marketing Manager is to plan and execute the company’s promotional strategy for its b2b and occasionally b2c events and associated activities.
You will manage the small marketing team, which includes junior members of staff; host marketing meetings; plan, commission and write email marketing content; ensure channels like our event website are up to date; work with the board to codify our strategy; oversee social media output; institute best practice processes; keep track of the marketing schedule and innovate new ideas to drive our conferences, awards and other activities; live and breathe the ticket sales of our events and respond accordingly.
You will also communicate with other teams, such as our event content and editorial teams, to ensure good information flow. In return, you will receive support from management, logistics, content and editorial where appropriate.
This role is suited to an organized, personable individual who loves being creative, managing people, and is excited by the challenge of promoting and growing live b2b/trade events. You'll be able to manage your own time and work on your own initiative while also being able to communicate with the wider company and keep other departments apprised of and motivated by your decisions.
We are particularly keen to hear from people who've been previously responsible for overseeing promotional content for business conferences, especially in the games world – but this is not essential if you possess the right mindset.
You will ideally display these skills:
- Highly self-motivated and proactive, with a can-do attitude, able to work on your own initiative, able to meet deadlines, and manage your own time and workload
- Good at managing a small team of people, who may need coaching and directing
- Exceptionally organized, able to work methodically and follow processes religiously to complete documents and update systems in a consistent and systematic manner
- Excellent communication ability, written and verbal. Fantastic use of English is handy
- Experience using key office software, including Google Sheets. Knowledge of management platforms such as Trello, or event systems like Eventbrite, is beneficial
- Previous PR, marketing, event or editorial experience is ideal
- Exceptional attention to detail and efficient administration skills
- Quick learner and able to multitask (with a view to 'hitting the ground running')
- A broad interest in games and technology (or the earnest desire to learn more)
- Able to work home-based (with a very stable internet connection). Due to working remotely, you will need to be comfortable being out of an office setting (it doesn't suit everyone) and be able to communicate and report to your line manager via Skype and online systems regularly
- Valid passport, no special visa or travel restrictions
- Some previous experience in the (mobile) games industry would be useful. That said, the ability to learn, stay organized, and rapidly establish connections is key, and we will consider candidates displaying those traits even if you’re new to the sector
- You’ll need to manage multiple communications channels daily, via email, Skype, and Google Docs and not be fazed by this
Job specifics - the Event Marketing Manager’s responsibilities:
Your key priorities will be:
- Growing the awareness of our event series in the games industry
- Ticket registrations
The role will naturally evolve with market trends and changing focus in the company, but the initial focus would be:
- Leading/Overseeing General Marketing Strategy, with a view to achieving the above core goals
- Evolve our general promotional approach in response to data. Come up with new opportunities and ideas in partnership with the team and senior management
- Managing the event marketing team and liaising with other relevant teams in the company e.g. events / sales (this will typically be handled via a couple of regular calls/windows)
- Building/managing a promotional communications plan and seeing that it is implemented and monitored, including creating our regular mailers (MailChimp)
- Overseeing the calendar of activity to make sure that promotional output for all our events is scheduled and avoids clashes, and maintaining relevant core shared documents
- Overseeing the creation of stories and ads on our media channels (commissioning freelance writers to deliver this)
- Overseeing social media - typically including speaker cards, sponsor shouts, content highlights, benefits push, etc, delivered day-to-day by one of your junior team members
- Checking that event pages, listings, PGConnects.com are up to date (these should be managed by other team members, but will need briefing/checking)
- Ensuring that other marketing activities (e.g. media partnerships) are being delivered (typically this will be delivered by a team member, with your supervision)
- Responding to the marketing and promotional requests of our sponsors and partners
- Tracking data where possible from the campaigns and reporting back post event and/or in weekly call e.g. monitoring of performance of social, event editorial and mailers
- Internal Comms: Lead weekly marketing call and if/where relevant/necessary attend meetings and liaise with other departments/management
- Creating press releases around our events to share with PR contacts
Why work with us?
- The job is flexible, and for the most part, you’ll be left unsupervised to set your own schedule at home. But you’ll also be part of a company that’ll work together online to support each other and get the job done! Best of both worlds
- The role involves some international travel to the locations of the PGC conferences (as well as new territories as the conference series expands)
- Steel Media is quick to respond to trends at the forefront of the industry. We were one of the first media companies to realize the potential of mobile games, VR, blockchain, the metaverse… If you’re an early adopter and naturally curious, you’ll break a lot of new ground with us.
- You’ll encounter people from all around the games industry, from developers to investors. If you’re interested in a career in games, publishing or events, this is a place to build your network of contacts. It is a chance to gain rapid experience in the games industry and communicate with some of the most important people in it.
- The people here have a huge amount of experience: some members of the team have been working in the games media for over 25 years, and you’ll receive a great deal of on-the-job insight and support from them.
- Steel Media is a fast-paced, small company where decisions are made quickly. We are a small, growing company that’s recently become part of a much bigger international operation. It’s a place where individuals can make a difference.
- Rate is negotiable, dependent on experience, but in the region of £30k pa (assuming 5 days, c.40 hours, per week)
- Our office hours are generally 9 am-6 pm (with an hour for lunch), but we are open to flexible working hours as long as activity levels are maintained.
- The role can be fulfilled as a salaried employee or as a freelance contractor - happy to discuss
- We will pay reasonable expenses for travel (usually booked centrally for flights, etc) and subsistence costs when traveling for the company.