This is a role that will primarily involve assisting our video editor in creating video content for PocketGamer.com's YouTube channel.
It will require somebody who is prepared to take content all the way through from concept to publishing, recording gameplay footage, narrating over it, editing it, publishing it, and publicising it to the community. You will need to grow familiar with work both behind and in front of the camera, but also learning the basics of editing and great sound quality, as well as be happy playing and talking about mobile games.
Some other video work may be required, for instance, interviewing people, taking part in live Twitch streams, or animating visuals for award ceremonies or cutting trailers together from supplied footage. It is a varied and interesting role that suits somebody looking to get into video work in the games industry.
This is a role where you’ll work with the editors of PocketGamer.com, PocketGamer.biz, 148Apps.com and AppSpy.com as well as our experienced video editor, and marketing team, to create video content for a range of purposes. Primarily this will be reviews, let’s-plays, tips, lists features and more aimed at gamers. But there could be other opportunities too. Our sites report directly to gamers on all things mobile gaming, delivering the biggest news, features and tips to help people get more from their games. The primary audience is people who play games who are looking for new games to play, and ways to get more out of games they already love. We have a growing YouTube channel and semi-regular Twitch events that serve them. We also have social media channels that need visuals, and also industry-facing clients that work with us to create video content for a business audience sometimes too.
As a member of the video team, you may be expected to liaise with the editorial, marketing and sales teams at Steel Media. As well as creating regular daily content for the video channels, a part of your role will be to support Steel Media’s events, including the LaunchPad series, and potentially also the Pocket Gamer Connects Digital series which serves the industry, and which has a strong video component.
The role may naturally evolve over the year with market trends and changing focus in the company, but the initial focus would aim to be:
- Record gameplay footage for YouTube from mobile and handheld devices
- Present and narrate videos, recording yourself playing and explaining the games. You may have to write the script for these yourself or adapt content written by other writers
- Edit videos to a high standard under the supervision of the video editor, using industry-standard tools such as Adobe suite
- Publish videos with good descriptions, meta information and SEO content
- Promote the YouTube channel on our websites, social media channels etc. You will use Steel Media’s channels (social media networks for instance) to promote content that appears on the site, and to interact with the community.
- Be prepared to stream live (eg for our LaunchPad event on Twitch)
- Assist the editor and senior staff to ensure all sections and regulars on the core channels and websites are kept up to date.
- Assist the editor and senior staff in the implementation of new initiatives at the company and on our sites.
- You will contribute to PocketGamer.com LaunchPad, PG Awards judging panels as requested, and other related initiatives.
- Potentially represent the PocketGamer.com brand at online, national and international events and conferences, reporting from them and networking with the games community, being part of our video team, conducting interviews and the like, as the world starts to open up
- Support Steel Media’s events, including Pocket Gamer Connects series and the Big Indie Pitch sessions. This may include hosting video sessions like webinars, acting as assistant producer behind the scenes at awards broadcasts and other activities
- Confidence in talking on camera or voicing over game footage
- Great presentation skills and an ability to discuss games in an engaging manner
- Understanding of core video and sound editing principles
- A knack for writing for B2C audiences and a willingness to adapt information into appealing scripts
- An understanding of YouTube, Twitch and SEO best practice
- Creative by nature and adaptable
- Comfortable with a fast-paced working environment
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work as part of a small team
- Highly organised, able to multitask and prioritise tasks effectively
- Able to conduct research independently
- A keen interest in mobile games
- Some knowledge of the games industry as a whole
- Some prior experience in video production
- Experience using content management systems, YouTube’s interface, social media and other platforms
Notes and considerations:
- This is a remote, work from home position although the successful candidate must be available during key UK work hours.
- We’d look to bring somebody on board in a freelance capacity, but a permanent staff position could be considered for the right candidate.
- Ideally this role will be full-time (40 hours per week) but we are open to part-time or flexible working options.
- Salary/rate depending on experience, can discuss.
- It’s an entry level position. Steel Media is a small company where experience is gained quickly and everybody has a chance to influence our projects.
- The teams work on a number of projects simultaneously; decisions are made quickly, and no two days are the same.
- You’ll need to be good at working independently when needed, and respond to the wider needs of the senior managers as they arise.
- You need to manage multiple communications channels daily, via email, Skype, Zoom and Google Docs and not be fazed by this.
- Due to working remotely, you will need to be comfortable being out of an office setting (it doesn't suit everyone) and be able to communicate and report to your team manager via Skype and other online systems regularly.
For more information please contact COO Dave Bradley directly.